Difference between revisions of "Dartmouth Outing Club policies"

From WikiDOC
Jump to: navigation, search
(New DOC Club Recognition Policy)
(New DOC Club Recognition Policy)
Line 329: Line 329:
==New DOC Club Recognition Policy==
==New DOC Club Recognition Policy==
*An interested group of students approaches the DOC Board with a proposal for a new club.
*An interested group of students approaches the DOC with a proposal for a new club.
*Usually in practice students talk to the DOC Club advisor to start.  Some questions include:  
*Usually, in practice, students talk to the one of the DOC Club advisors for consultation.  Some questions include:  
**How many people are interested in this activity?   
**How many people are interested in this activity?   
**Have you had any sort of interest meeting or initial activity?   
**Have you had any sort of interest meeting or initial activity?   
Line 337: Line 338:
**What do you know about the DOC, what makes you think it would be a good fit  
**What do you know about the DOC, what makes you think it would be a good fit  
**How does this activity fill a niche at the college, and is it allowable in terms of risk management and insurance here?
**How does this activity fill a niche at the college, and is it allowable in terms of risk management and insurance here?
**The DOC advisor helps them get a proposal together covering relevant info about their club idea as well as what they could bring to the DOC and what they would like to get from the DOC
**The DOC advisor helps them get a proposal together covering relevant info about their club idea as well as what they could bring to the DOC and what they would like to get from the DOC.
Proposal should include:
*Statement of purpose
*Description of need/level of interest
*Why a new club is necessary as opposed to expansion of another club’s activities
*Description of anticipated activities/trips
*Anticipated budget needs
*Organizational structure
*Leader requirements and general policies/procedures
*The DOC Board considers the proposal in terms of its fit with the written purpose of the DOC.  From the DOC Constitution:
*The DOC Directorate considers the proposal in terms of its fit with the written purpose of the DOC.  From the DOC Constitution:
"The purpose of the Dartmouth Outing Club shall be to further, through the camaraderie in the out-of-doors, of a diverse and inclusive membership, the educational objectives of Dartmouth College and its principle of community, by stimulating an appreciation of nature and environmental stewardship, a knowledge of the fundamental crafts of outdoor living, the creative use of leisure time, and above all, the development of such personal traits as initiative, integrity, tolerance, self-reliance, and leadership."
"The purpose of the Dartmouth Outing Club shall be to further, through the camaraderie in the out-of-doors, of a diverse and inclusive membership, the educational objectives of Dartmouth College and its principle of community, by stimulating an appreciation of nature and environmental stewardship, a knowledge of the fundamental crafts of outdoor living, the creative use of leisure time, and above all, the development of such personal traits as initiative, integrity, tolerance, self-reliance, and leadership."
*The DOC Board votes on whether to recognize the proposed club or not.
*The DOC Directorate votes on whether to recognize the proposed club.
*The Outdoor Programs Office has final approval authority.  
*If the DOC votes to recognize the club, that club has certain privileges and also certain responsibilities. These are outlined in a document authored by Earl Jette, entitled “Student Group Privileges and Responsibilities.” See below.  
If OPO and the DOC approve, the new club must go before the Risk Management committee for approval on their leader training procedures and trip conduct policies.
*It is also possible that the DOC could decide to de-recognize a club. However, to our knowledge, this has never happened.
*It is also possible that the DOC could decide to de-recognize a club. However, to our knowledge, this has never happened.

Revision as of 20:43, 20 February 2018

This is the home for all policies and procedures put in place by the DOC and OPO to ensure that all leaders and staff have clear understanding of the best practice for any situation.

The DOC and OPO

The relationship between the DOC and OPO has evolved over the years. OPO's predecessor, the Office of Outdoor Affairs, was created in 1970 to manage administrative functions for the Outing Club, among other educational, environmental and management purposes. In brief, OPO provides administrative, educational, advising, facilities, safety and other forms of support for the club. The objective is to advance student learning and personal growth through the promotion of student initiative, leadership, and responsibility. The DOC is a student-run club. Note that OPO has programs that are not technically related to the DOC, although typically DOC members are involved in roles of various capacity and generally we're all one big friendly family.

Some of these policies are solely OPO policies. Others are solely DOC policies. Others are developed and implemented in collaboration.

N.B. These policies are meant to relate the current practices, as established. Very little is considered written in stone and should occasion arise to change anything, concerned parties need only raise this concern and the appropriate channels will be followed to amend policies as necessary.

Work Safety Procedures

Before starting work it is important to evaluate the tasks to be performed and identify the hazards associated with an assigned work task. The right personal protective equipment (PPE) must be made available to the students performing the tasks and supervisors/leaders must ensure the person doing the work knows how to wear and care for the PPE.

All DOC/OPO programs of any kind will begin with a safety briefing to ensure that all participants are aware of the practices to be used.

General Safety Requirements

Eyes, Ears, Head, Hands & Feet

Eye and face protection Safety glasses are required when operating with or when near operating power tools and equipment. Safety glasses are required when hammering, grinding, chipping, sawing or cutting. Safety glasses must be worn during all demolition work.

Safety goggles or face shield with safety glasses must be worn when pouring, mixing or using caustic chemicals (any chemical labeled as corrosive). Safety eye wear will be stamped ANSI Z87-1989

Head protection Hard hats are required when there is a possibility of striking or being struck on the head. All hard hats must meet ANSI Z89-1986.

Foot protection Safety shoes are required when having to move heavy equipment or objects. Safety shoes are also required on all construction and demolition projects. Sturdy hiking boots or work boots should suffice. If very heavy equipment is to be moved, steel-toed boots are recommended.

Hand protection Cuts and other hand injuries are a common type of accident. Leather gloves are recommended when handling sharp objects. Nitrile gloves are suitable for common cleaning and lubricating chemicals.

Hearing protection Wear hearing protection when working with or near loud equipment. Wearing ear muffs or ear plugs will not only save your hearing but will reduce fatigue caused by noise.

Working with chainsaws

1. Use of a chainsaw should come after other methods are exhausted

2. Only individuals with a Dartmouth or USFS Chainsaw Certification may use the saw.

3. Check with OPO before cutting on Outing Club/College property

4. Never work alone

5. Inspect equipment prior to use

6. Wear fitted clothing, tie back long hair, and remove jewelry.

7. Always wear complete Personal Protection:

a. Helmet w/face protection

b. Eye Protection

c. Hearing Protection

d. Chaps

e. Boots

f. Gloves

8. Avoid sawing in areas with compromised footing

9. Review your emergency response plan with co-workers

10. Do not saw above your ability level. If you received only the basic Dartmouth or state chainsaw certification, then you may not fall or cut springpoles. If you are not a USFS journeyman sawyer, then you need one with you when you are sawing.

Chainsaw checklist

You should perform this check before using a chainsaw. All saws are checked by the Facilities Assistant before and during the field season, but all equipment can become unsafe to operate within a single usage, and should be checked before each use.

1. Chain brake function (kinematic and manual)

2. Chain movement while saw is idling without brake on?

3. Throttle interlock working?

4. Chain catcher in place?

5. Chain condition?

6. Filter is clean and functioning?

7. Cracks in housing?

Working at Heights

When working at heights of 4’-6’ or more above a lower level, fall protection is required. Fall protection may include:

  • Guardrails

Top rails are at 42”, mid rails at 21” and a toe board if there is a danger of items falling on people below. Top rails must be able to withstand at least a 200 lb sideways force.

  • Personal fall arrest systems

This involves anchor points, harnesses and lanyards. Anchor points must be strong enough to withstand a 5000 lb load (a Ford F-250 pick up truck)

  • Positioning device systems

These systems keep you from getting near the edge and exposing yourself to a potential fall. Anchor points must hold 2000 lbs (or a Toyota Yaris))

Prior to working at heights develop a plan of rescue should you fall. In some instances you may be able to rescue yourself but in more complicated situations you may need assistance getting down, untangling yourself or in seeking medical treatment.

  • Who can you call for help?
  • How will you call for help?
  • How far away is medical treatment if needed?

Portable, power operated tools

1. Ensure all machine guards provided by the manufacturer are in place

a. Portable circular saws must have guards above and below the base shoe. Guards must be checked to verify they are not wedged up leaving the blade exposed underneath.

b. Rotating or moving parts must be guarded to prevent contact

2. All cord-connected, electrically operated tools and equipment must be effectively grounded or double insulated to prevent electrocution. GFCI’s must be used if powered tools are used in damp areas.

3. Pneumatic tools and hydraulic hoses on power operated tools must be checked daily for deterioration or damage.

DOC will provide a hands-on training to review proper use and care of all power tools used by students. Student workers will demonstrate their ability to use these tools prior to beginning work.

Worksite Organization

  • Pick up trash and other items that don’t belong in the work area
  • Keep tools picked up and put away when not in use
  • Locate PPE in designated containers, keep clean and in good repair

Be prepared to deal with:

  • First Aid
  • Sun protection
  • Hydration
  • Poison Plants
  • Bites and stings

Driver and Vehicle Policy

Summary: If you want to drive vehicles for DOC activities, talk to Julie in 114 Robinson.

Vehicle Use Policy

Please look at the OPO Vehicle Use Policy

In order to use OPOs fleet of vehicles (currently two busses, two pickups and a 12 passenger van), you must attend a Driver Talk.

Driver talks are held periodically by OPO. To schedule one, contact Brian, Julie or Rory.

The Dartmouth Outing Club believes strongly in enabling students to plan, organize, and run their own trips and activities. Crucial to this process is making sure students can get themselves safely to their destinations. The College has a vehicle fleet available for student trips, but students need to get approved before they can use them.

There are three levels of student driver certification at the College:

  • sedan/minivan
  • van
  • microbus

Sedan/minivan (ie. car/minivan) certification is required before you can become van or microbus certified, but van and microbus are not prerequisite for each other. Most DOC trips and activities will require either a van or microbus certification.

First-year students are not allowed to drive for DOC activities (the College has its own restrictions on first-year students driving which make it too difficult for us), but we recommend that first-year students, who are active with the club and expect to continue taking on more responsibility in the club, get their van and/or microbus certifications completed by the end of their first year, so that they'll have it when they need it (especially if you might want to be on one of the summer crews). It's annoying wanting to lead a trip and not being able to because you're waiting for your paperwork to clear. Start at the Outdoor Programs Business Office in 114 Robinson Hall.

Driver certification at Dartmouth is handled by the Driver Safety Program (usually just called Driver Safety), but the DOC can streamline many of the tasks for you so start with us.

Sedan/Minivan Certification

The College has a number of sedans (cars) and minivans available for use. Sedans hold four or five, and minivans can hold up to seven passengers (including the driver).

There are three things you need to do to become sedan/minivan certified to drive for DOC activities:

  1. submit an office or department-sponsored (ie. DOC-sponsored) Driver Application to Driver Safety (including a copy of your driver's license). See Julie Decato for the application.
  2. complete an online Defensive Driver course, and
  3. get your sedan/minivan DOC driver card ONLY IF you do not plan on becoming van or bus certified (if you do plan on becoming bus or van certified, complete those requirements before getting your driver card).

Start at the Outdoor Programs Business Office in 114 Robinson Hall. The Reservations Coordinator there (Julie) has copies of the Driver Application and she'll help you fill it out and let you use the photocopier to make a copy of your license. Julie will then send your paperwork to Driver Safety to get the process started.

When your Driver Application is submitted to Driver Safety, they will request a Motor Vehicle Report from the state in which your driver's license was issued. They'll check to make sure your driving record is (reasonably) clean. Once your Motor Vehicle Report has cleared, Driver Safety will also check with the Dean's Office to make sure you are in good standing with the College. This can all take a few weeks, depending on your state. When Driver Safety finishes checking your record they'll blitz you and tell you to take an online Defensive Driver's course.

Driver Safety keeps records of student drivers online and available to all offices, but for DOC activities students need to be able to pass vehicles off to other students in the field where they can't check the Driver Safety list to make sure they're giving the vehicle to someone authorized to use it. So the DOC has its own system of keeping track of drivers: driver cards. These are cards issued by the Outdoor Programs Office which says that this student is approved to drive College vehicles for DOC activities. These cards can be checked in the field. So the last step to drive vehicles for the Dartmouth Outing Club is to stop back and see Julie in 114 Robinson — she will check that you are on the Driver Safety list and then issue you a driver card.

Van Certification

Many DOC trips and activities will require a vehicle larger than a sedan or minivan. In addition to microbusses (see below), the College has sprinter vans (diesel vans which hold ten passengers).

Students must get their sedan/minivan certification before they can get their van certification. Once students have their sedan/minivan certification, the only thing they need to do to become van certified is to take a van road test. To take a van road test, contact Driver Safety (driver.safety@dartmouth.edu or by phone at (603) 646-9876) to arrange a time. There's a fee for the test, but the DOC will cover it for you (see Julie for the form to give to Driver Safety).

Once you've completed your van test, head back to see Julie to get issued a van-approved driver card.

Microbus Certification

There are more steps to get microbus certified, but microbusses can hold up to fifteen people so they are more useful for trips and activities than vans or minivans which can only hold seven or eight people. Microbusses are like short school busses.

Students must get their sedan/minivan certification before they can get their microbus certification. To get your microbus certification, you need to do two things:

  1. Sign a statement of good health with Driver Safety
  2. Take your road test

To sign your statement of good health, contact Driver Safety (driver.safety@dartmouth.edu or by phone at (603) 646-9876). They'll give you the information you need.

To take a bus road test, contact Driver Safety (driver.safety@dartmouth.edu or by phone at (603) 646-9876) to arrange a time. There's a fee for this too, but the DOC will cover it for you (see Julie for the form to give to Driver Safety).

When you have completed these steps, stop by the Outdoor Programs Business Office to pick up your microbus driver card from Julie.

Loss of Certification

Your DOC driver card has an expiration date on it, the same date as your state-issued driver's license expires. Usually by the time your driver card expires, you'll have your new driver's license. Bring your new driver's license to Julie in 114 Robinson Hall and she will issue you a new DOC driver card.

You can also lose your driver certification from Driver Safety - by getting into an accident or getting moving violations (like speeding tickets, warnings, etc.), or a few other bad things we really shouldn't have to tell you not to do. If your driver certification is revoked by Driver Safety, you will not be able to drive vehicles for the Dartmouth Outing Club or any other office or department on campus. An appeals process is available if you need to challenge the revocation of your certification (you would appeal to Driver Safety, not to the DOC).

Use of Personal Vehicles

In order for students to use non-College vehicles for College activities, they must be College-approved drivers (at least sedan/minivan certified) and they must file an Owner Approval Form with Driver Safety for the vehicle to be driven (they must register their vehicle with the college). The legal owner of the vehicle must consent to the use of their vehicle for College activities (so if you're driving a car registered in your parent's name, they'll have to sign the Owner Approval Form). You can get the form from Julie in 114 Robinson Hall and she will help you fill it out.

If you want to use your own car on a DOC trip, you have to be an approved driver and you have to file the form.

Facility Naming Policy

The Dartmouth Outing Club’s lore and traditions are firmly connected to the cabins and trails it has built and used over the years. The lore of the club is etched on the walls of its cabins and on the signs that guide the wanderer on its trails. The clubs history is deeply connected to the names it gives to its cabins and trails. Names or name changes to DOC facilities including trails should be reviewed by the DOC Advisory Board, and their recommendations should be sent to the DOC Board for approval.

Approved 3 February 2009 by DOC Board.

OPO Staff Facility and Programs Access

Outdoor Programs benefits from having its employees familiar with our various facilities and programs, with the staff who run them, and with the students and others who use them. One of the benefits of working for the Outdoor Programs Office as a regular, benefits-eligible employee, or as a full-time temporary (seasonal) employee, is free access to the following OPO facilities and programs for the employee and his/her immediate family (spouse/domestic partner and children living at home) during the period of employment. Because use of these facilities and programs has monetary value, federal tax policy requires that the value be reported by the College as taxable income.

  • Dartmouth Cross-Country Ski Center: season pass
  • Climbing Gym: term pass or season pass
  • Moosilauke Ravine Lodge: season pass (2 days/nights food & lodging each visit)
  • OPO cabins at the Second College Grant: no charge for employee and family; no limit on the number of visits
  • Dartmouth Outdoor Rentals: no charge for rentals

Pass cards, signed by the director, will be made available to regular employees each year. Staff who supervise full-time seasonal employees should contact the department administrative assistant to obtain cards for these staff as needed. Cards are valid only during the period of regular or full-time seasonal employment. Staff who oversee facilities and programs should also make arrangements for issuing and honoring facility- or program-specific passes as needed or requested. Staff overseeing facilities and program will also arrange for the recording what the charge would be (per the normal rate categories) and reporting that to the Director quarterly (during the break between each academic term), so that the value can be reported to payroll and recorded as income. Of course, employees who don’t wish to see their taxable income increase by any amount may always pay the normal rates.

Employees making use of their free access to facilities and programs must observe the normal policies for reservation deadlines, duration of stay, duration of equipment rental, etc. Employees also must limit their use of this privilege to themselves and their immediate families. For example, free equipment rentals should not be obtained on behalf of other relatives, friends, or groups.

Approved by OPO staff and DOC Officers, November 2, 2009

DOC Leader Training

All trips and activities in the Dartmouth Outing Club are planned, organized, and led by Dartmouth students. In order to ensure that DOC leaders are capable of dealing with the many unpredictable situations which may occur on an outdoor trip, the Club requires that all members become proficient in appropriate skills before leading trips.

A comprehensive overview of DOC leader requirements can be found on the Leader Requirements and Procedures page.

DOC Trip Size Policy

The DOC seeks to establish a protocol for when small trips should go out and when they should be cancelled. For some types of trips, like longer backpacks, 6 people represents an optimally-sized trip, not a small one. Furthermore, in most cases, the club agrees that it is better for smaller trips to go out than no trips at all. Therefore, the chairs and leaders will determine minimum trips sizes for particular trips based on the following criteria:

  • Safety. For most wilderness trips, it is risky to have fewer than four people. In other cases, other safety considerations and the judgment of the leaders may suggest that a certain trip should have a certain minimum number of people.
  • Involvement of co-leaders. For co-leaders to gain the experience necessary to lead trips in the future, there need to be enough other people on the trip who are being led. On the other hand, that experience can come from appropriate smaller trips, which are sometimes necessary to enable leaders-in-training to complete the entire leadership development process
  • Budgetary constraints. The cost of a given trip, both to the DOC and to OPO, through its subsidy of van mileage should be considered—is a particular trip the best use of resources? Is it going out at the expense of future, larger trips? This is especially significant for small trips that travel long distances.
  • OPO processes. To minimize the burden on the OPO staff and the expense of reserving unnecessary vehicles, the decision whether to cancel a trip or to let it go out with a smaller a number of people should be made as early in the week as possible and clearly communicated by the trip leader to the OPO staff.
  • Leader preferences. Leaders will decide whether or not particular trips are likely to be large enough to be worth the time they spend leading them.
  • The smallest possible vehicle should be used for a trip. Book sedans and minivans instead of Sprinters and busses. OPO and DOC will work to amend vehicle mileage pricing to incentivize using the smallest vehicle necessary.
  • There is no official minimum trip size. Leaders, in consultation with club partners will determine if a trip is undersubscribed and needs to be cancelled, based on the above criteria.
  • Work trips shall not be constrained by trip size standards, only by safety and logistical concerns.


  • Leaders shall establish with the reservations coordinator at the time of trip set up what the minimum and maximum number of participants shall be, and what the deadline for sign-up is.
  • The reservations coordinator shall notify the trip leader if the trip does not reach its minimum sign-ups by the deadline so that he or she can inform the participants.

Approved Summer 2009, edited May 2010.

Buildering on College Buildings

The welfare of students is the highest priority, and it is with this welfare in mind that the College prohibits unauthorized climbing on all College buildings. Practice climbing in "low risk" areas is essential to improving ones safety margin when climbing, and "buildering" appears to be an appropriate means of obtaining that needed practice. The Dartmouth Mountaineering Club ("DMC") is authorized to conduct climbing activities on College buildings. The DMC will be responsible for identifying and authorizing qualified climbers who can safely and responsibly climb on College buildings.

Anyone who climbs College buildings under the auspices of the DMC will be required to sign the following release in advance of any such climbing and adhere to the notification policy below. This File can be downloaded here: File:BuilderingWaiver.DOC‎

I acknowledge and assume the risk of climbing on Dartmouth buildings in connection with the activities of the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club. I hereby release and agree to hold harmless Dartmouth College and all of its organizations and employees from any liability or other expenses should I cause damage or be injured while climbing any of the College buildings under authorization of the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club.


___The College recognizes two types of climbing on buildings: top-roped climbing and bouldering. Top-rope is limited to Bartlett Tower, and Fairchild Tower. Climbers bouldering on approved buildings is limited to 5 feet above the ground.

___DMC approved climbers are responsible for notifying the Department of Safety & Security before buildering (whether top-roping or bouldering). Notification can be done over blitz, but the climbers must receive a reply approving the event before they start climbing.

The DMC chair/president will be responsible for obtaining these signed releases from its members and promptly turning such releases in to the Director of Outdoor Programs.

The approved DMC member will be responsible for notifying the Department of Safety & Security before climbing on any approved College buildings.

All climbing will be subject to any events being held at a particular building. The DMC member must clear the use of a particular building with S&S to avoid any conflict with other events that may be occurring at a particular building. If there is a conflict the "buildering" event will be switched or cancelled.

Types of Climbing Permitted on College Approved Buildings: Top Rope climbing is limited to the west side of Gerry Hall, Fairchild Tower and Bartlett Tower. A list will be created by the President of the Mountaineering Club of those climbers qualified to set up and supervise top rope climbs; this list will be stored with S&S. Any climber on this list must have a waiver on file with OPO. Bartlett Tower: To access the tower for climbing, the approved top rope climber must drop off his/her ID to the Department of Safety & Security to be held while climbing on Bartlett Tower. When climbing is finished, one climber must stay at the Tower another calls S&S for the Tower to be secured. At no time should the Tower be left unsecured and unsupervised for others to access.

Bouldering is limited to Bartlett Tower, Rollins Chapel, Gerry/Bradley Hall, Robinson Hall, and Fairchild Tower. Bouldering is limited to 5 feet above the ground.

Ledyard Trip Policies

Ledyard Canoe Club 10/13/2008 revised 2/10/09

College Sanctioned Trips

College sanctioned trips are trips which have been approved by the Outdoor Programs Office and meet college regulations.

• Sanctioned trips must be approved either by being on a list of pre-approved rivers or through a meeting with the LCC partner for river-by-river approval. • College vans or approved vehicles must be used with college-approved drivers. • College sanctioned trips can go on rivers up to and including a class IV difficulty. This limit is based on the ability of leaders to make sound, safe decisions concerning themselves and their fellow paddlers. • Drops on college sanctioned trips greater than class IV difficulty will be portaged by all paddlers. Individual paddlers on a sanctioned trip may not declare any portion of the trip as private. • Ledyard leadership requirements must be met for leader-follower ratios, leader type (level I, II, or III).

General Trip Guidelines

• These guidelines are for official Ledyard trips sponsored by Ledyard Canoe Club. • Must have an appropriate leader(s). • The trip must be blitzed out to the Ledyard council list and may be blitzed to the boating list. Trips must be open to any interested participants up to the maximum trip capacity, for whom the trip is deemed appropriate. • All Ledyard and OPO trip protocol must be followed, including the filling out of med forms and injury reports. • A trip includes the time between leaving the Ledyard clubhouse and returning to it. • All trips must follow the AWA guidelines included in the end of this document.

Instructional Trips

Instructional trips are trips for which the students have paid a course fee and the instructor is paid, including all Dartmouth PE classes.

• These trips shall occur on rivers of no harder than class III difficulty. • Paddlers on these trips are able to use club gear and must travel in a college van or college approved vehicle with college approved drivers. • One certified instructor per class must be a Ledyard leader appropriate to the difficulty of the instructional setting (e.g. whitewater leader to teach classes on whitewater, flatwater leader to teach flatwater sessions and private lessons). See leader to participant ratios.

Class V Trips

  • Special permission may be granted by the Outdoor Programs Office to a specific group of paddlers to paddle a stretch of water considered class V. These trips will serve as a training ground for higher-level boaters. A level III leader must be present on any trip in this category and each paddler must be of the appropriate ability. These trips are intended as special training and reward for higher level boaters and require special care. The participants must be aware of the liability associated with this level of boating and must be sensitive to the dangers present to themselves, Ledyard Canoe Club, and the general paddling community. In addition, he participants must meet the criteria found below in order to be approved for this type of trip. Ledyard Canoe Club does not encourage its members to run class V but will allow it in these controlled circumstances.

Criteria for class V paddlers and trips • There shall be a minimum of 3 paddlers on this type of trip. • Trips shall be planned so that the group is off the water at least 2 hours before sunset. • There will be an agreed upon time for search and rescue to be called if the group has not yet returned. • Class V trips may not compromise the number of leaders on other club trips. • Appropriate creek boats and gear shall be used. There shall be a minimum of 2 throwbags, 2 pin-kits, 2 first aid kits, and 1 spare paddle. It is suggested that participants use full-face helmets, mouth-guards, and elbow pads. • Participants must have actively paddled whitewater for at least 2 years. • Participants must have paddled well on recent trips, including on a wide variety of rivers. • Participants perform well in high-pressure situations. • At least 50% of participants must have taken Swift Water Rescue or equivalent.

Private Trips

Private trips allow individuals to borrow club gear for personal use, provided the following guidelines are met. Ledyard has chosen to be selective in requiring some objective qualifications when gear is borrowed or rented.

• Private trips will not use college approved vans or vehicles. • Private trips may go to any rivers deemed runnable by the paddling community.

Preapproved Rivers

the following rivers have been pre approved for appropriate Ledyard leaders.  Other rivers need to be approved on a case by case basis with the Outdoor Programs staff person or delegate that works most closely with the Club.

Hartlands(Sumners Falls on the Connecticut River), the White River, the Mascoma River, the Ottoquechee, the Sugar River, Zoar Gap(Deerfield River), the Dryway(Deerfield River), the West River, the Winnipesauke, and the Contoocook River. At water levels deemed acceptable by the general paddling community.

New DOC Club Recognition Policy

  • An interested group of students approaches the DOC with a proposal for a new club.
  • Usually, in practice, students talk to the one of the DOC Club advisors for consultation. Some questions include:
    • How many people are interested in this activity?
    • Have you had any sort of interest meeting or initial activity?
    • How does the interest spread out over class years?
    • Are you aware of the DOC leader training program and the responsibilities of being part of the DOC
    • What do you know about the DOC, what makes you think it would be a good fit
    • How does this activity fill a niche at the college, and is it allowable in terms of risk management and insurance here?
    • The DOC advisor helps them get a proposal together covering relevant info about their club idea as well as what they could bring to the DOC and what they would like to get from the DOC.

Proposal should include:

  • Statement of purpose
  • Description of need/level of interest
  • Why a new club is necessary as opposed to expansion of another club’s activities
  • Description of anticipated activities/trips
  • Anticipated budget needs
  • Organizational structure
  • Leader requirements and general policies/procedures
  • The DOC Directorate considers the proposal in terms of its fit with the written purpose of the DOC. From the DOC Constitution:

"The purpose of the Dartmouth Outing Club shall be to further, through the camaraderie in the out-of-doors, of a diverse and inclusive membership, the educational objectives of Dartmouth College and its principle of community, by stimulating an appreciation of nature and environmental stewardship, a knowledge of the fundamental crafts of outdoor living, the creative use of leisure time, and above all, the development of such personal traits as initiative, integrity, tolerance, self-reliance, and leadership."

  • The DOC Directorate votes on whether to recognize the proposed club.
  • The Outdoor Programs Office has final approval authority.

If OPO and the DOC approve, the new club must go before the Risk Management committee for approval on their leader training procedures and trip conduct policies.

  • It is also possible that the DOC could decide to de-recognize a club. However, to our knowledge, this has never happened.
  • Sometimes, because of the ebb and flow of student interest, a club will become inactive for a period of time and then be resurrected. This is separate from de-recognition and has no effect on the rights or responsibilities of the club once it becomes active again.

Wolfgang Schlitz Adventure Fund

See the Schlitz Fund page.

Membership Benefits

The following are D.O.C. membership benefits for Dartmouth students:

  • Reduced rates for cabin rentals and related programs, including Ravine Lodge, Climbing Gym, Rentals.
  • Use of the D.O.C. cabins on the Second College Grant.
  • Discount on D.O.C. publications such as the Moosilauke Guide, D.O.C./A.T. Trail Map, and books.
  • D.O.C. periodicals at no charge: Woodsmoke and the Activities Bulletin.
  • Opportunity to participate in "Bulk Orders" of outdoor equipment at considerable savings.
  • Eligibility for leadership roles within the D.O.C. 7) Eligibility for membership in D.O.C. clubs such as Bait and Bullet, Biathlon Club, Cycling Club, Mountaineering Club, Boots and Saddles, and the Snowboarding Club.

Letter/Memo Writing

Memos and letters written to other offices on campus and to off-campus destinations must be reviewed by the executive director or his assistant before they are sent. This is for the purpose of communication - not for repression. It is important for the director to be aware of your communications in order to respond knowledgeably to the questions of others. This does not apply when sending newsletters, notes, etc., which are informational, to members and friends. It applies when the correspondence is on letterhead and suggests Club approval of a request, position, action, etc.

Position Taking

When students want to take a public position they should make those intentions known to the Executive Director who, in turn, will submit the position to the Legal Affairs Office of the College for acknowledgment.

The Board of Directors of the D.O.C. has issued the following statement which has also been approved by the Legal Staff:

"No such person connected with D.O.C. may represent any public statement as being the official position of Dartmouth College without prior permission of the Trustees or their designated representatives."

Note: The D.O.C. is often viewed as the representative of Dartmouth College in matters relating to the outdoors. Hence the need for collaboration between the Club and senior administrative officers of the College.

Departmental Keys

Student officers will be issued keys to appropriate offices, meeting rooms, and storage areas. The keys are available from the Buildings and Grounds Office in McKenzie Hall. Written authorization from the club partner or the administrative assistant is required as is a deposit for each key.


Materials such as newsletters, announcements, and notices to club members are routinely prepared and distributed. Materials on D.O.C. or other club letterhead or which otherwise obviously represent the club must be reviewed with the Outdoor Programs Office staff before copying. This is to protect the integrity and credibility of the club. Materials containing typos, other errors or misleading statements speak poorly of the organization.

A photocopier is available in the Outdoor Programs office during business hours at a cost (see the business assistant for current rate).This copier should be used for small jobs.

For better quality and greater quantity, use College Printing, X-Press Copy or Gnomon Copy. Again, see the administrative assistants for advice, estimates, and assistance. You will need a printing request form for College Printing. You will need to get a credit card from the business assistant if you use off-campus (X-Press Copy or Gnomon Copy).

All offset printing jobs need to be reviewed by the club's partner or the administrative assistant. The least expensive source is often College Printing (check to see what they need for lead time). There are also a number of local printing companies. As the quality of service varies considerably with different companies, discuss your needs with the administrative assistant before contacting any outside printers.

Personal Property

It is important to understand that the College protects only its own property. Personal property left in College vehicles or buildings (in lockers, cabinets, open or locked rooms, etc.) is NOT protected. The College strongly recommends that individuals purchase their own insurance to cover these items unless they are willing to assume the risks which are inherent.

Business Transactions

  • Purchasing cards
    • When you sign out this card, you are responsible for all charges on it
    • Kathy fills out a sheet to keep track of it all
    • Feed cards are different, Laura D. has those
  • Business reimbursement
    • Time-intensive, annoying, but can be used
    • E.g. driving your own car on college business, need to use your own money when the office is closed, etc. A last ditch effort!
  • Miscellaneous income voucher, Independent contractor forms
    • If you want to hire someone (e.g. a band) for an event
    • There is certain criteria to be met (i.e. who gets paid, who gets taxed, when it has to be filled, etc.)
    • Basically, get stuff lined up way before your event! There are procedures to be followed for the college, US tax laws, etc.
  • Cash advance
    • For spring break trips. They give you a form for however much money plan to spend on the trip – for when you can’t buy stuff ahead of time.

DOR rentals

The DOC has an endowment that provides free use of gear for undergraduate students on official, DOC trips. Grad students and other members must pay their share of equipment rentals, or the individual club can choose to subsidize them.

This endowment covers only rental, not replacement, repair or cleaning charges. The individual clubs or leaders are responsible for those costs.

  • Occum pond & Robo, but they’re not open 7 days a week! Make sure you know what you need early on, and e-mail Mike.
    • Have leaders come down to meet with Mike at the beginning of the term, and realize all this!
  • Real numbers by Thursday
  • Picking stuff up:
    • Always get a first aid kit. Even if you have a better one, DOR wants to know that a minimal kit went out.
    • If you use something in a first aid kit, tell DOR so it can be replaced.
    • Ask how to use stuff, don’t be afraid to ask dumb questions ☺
    • Ideas for new equipment? Talk to Mike/DOR!
    • Clean up after yourself

EpiPen Protocol




Dartmouth Outing Club (DOC) Excursions

August 2015


To allow the delivery of emergency dosing of epinephrine to Dartmouth students while on DOC

sponsored trips that include a safety crew, under the supervision of physicians at the Dartmouth

College Health Service (DCHS)


Dr. Ann Bracken, Director Clinical Medical Services, Dartmouth College Health Service (DCHS)

Brian Kunz, Deputy Director for Dartmouth Outdoors Programs

DOC trip and safety leaders


1. DOC trip leaders are required to have a valid American Heart Association or American Red

Cross First Aid Certification and CPR/AED certification. Trip leaders with higher

certification such as Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, Outdoor Emergency

Care, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Wilderness EMT are able to substitute these

certifications for Basic First Aid; however, they are also required to have a valid CPR/AED


2. First Aid Certification includes how to recognize signs and symptoms of severe allergic

reaction and anaphylaxis, an instructional video on use of emergency epinephrine injectors,

such as “EpiPens,” and practice with the injector trainers.

3. Emergency epinephrine injectors will be provided to trained DOC trip and safety leaders,

leading and or supporting trips in remote locations, who have one or more students on the

trip who are known to have a prescribed emergency epinephrine injector for allergy.

Please Note: Trip leaders may use the injector on anyone on the trip who meets the criteria

for injection set forth below, even if the participant does not have a prescription for an

injector. Trip leaders will communicate with the student/s prior to departure to learn more

about their allergy and learn where the student stores their injector. Trip leaders will use

the trip injector if they are unable to locate the student’s injector, or need to repeat

medication delivery for persistent anaphylaxis while awaiting emergency support.

4. Emergency epinephrine injectors will only be available to individuals who have completed

the training required by Dartmouth under this policy.


1. Early recognition of Allergic Reaction

a. Obtain history of potential sensitivities (foods, medicines, plants, animals, insect

bites/stings, temperature extremes)

b. Obtain history of potential exposure to above. Identify the cause if possible, and

remove student from further exposure

c. Identify symptoms and signs (hives, sting/bite with swelling, other rash, etc.)

d. Initiate symptomatic treatment

i. Cool compress or ice (if not cold-allergic)

ii. Avoid heat and/or rubbing

iii. Administer an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

25 – 50 mg immediately, then every 6 hours as needed, OR

iv. Administer cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10mg immediately, then daily as


v. Apply hydrocortisone 1% or Calamine lotion topically

e. Monitor for symptom resolution or progression

2. Progression of Allergic Reaction

a. Identify systemic symptoms or signs of progressing allergic reaction (may meet

b. Initiate Medical treatment

criteria for anaphylaxis if combined with hives or other localized signs/symptoms)

i. Respiratory stridor/difficulty breathing

ii. Wheezing

iii. Numbness/tingling around mouth or in oropharynx

iv. Swelling around mouth or tightness of throat

v. Vomiting

vi. Dizziness/fainting

i. Administer epinephrine, 0.3 ml by epinephrine auto-injector


ii. Administer diphenhydramine or cetirizine by mouth as above

iii. Document dose and time administered

department (call 911)

stabilizing or improving, and this may be given 5 to 15 minutes after the first

c. Initiate evacuation procedure for access to higher level of care or emergency

d. A second dose of epinephrine may be needed if symptoms do not appear to be

3. Storage of and handling of epinephrine auto-injectors

a. Store in an unlocked safe location in DOC facilities where only trained personnel

b. Replace if discolored or expired

c. Store at 68-77 degrees Fahrenheit (20-25 degrees Celsius)

d. Protect from light and do not refrigerate

e. This product contains NO latex

Alcohol Policy

Please refer to this page on the Dartmouth Outdoors Website.

Non-Student Participation in DOC activities

drafted 5.28.15

Non-Student Trip Participant Policy

The Dartmouth Outing Club (DOC) was founded to “further the educational objectives of Dartmouth College,” and outdoor trips and adventure activities organized by DOC student leaders should normally be limited to student participants. There are situations where the DOC’s mission can be advanced by including non-student participants, under the conditions described below. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Director or Deputy Director of Outdoor Programs. Even when an acknowledgment-of-risk form is not required, each pre-trip briefing should address the relevant risks, fitness, experience, and equipment associated with the activity.

(Outdoor Programs has the additional responsibilities of generating revenue and engaging the larger College community, and many OPO-organized trips and activities will regularly include non-students, who sign acknowledgment-of-risk or waiver forms when appropriate, as described in the risk-management policy.)

Instructional or Guided Trips: From time to time, the sub-clubs may engage hired or volunteer instructors or guides. The hiring of an instructor or guide requires compliance with College policies concerning insurance and payment and should be discussed in advance with the sub-club’s OPO staff partner and the financial coordinator. In consultation with their staff partner, sub-clubs may also engage volunteer advisors and instructors from within the College and alumni community. In participating with students in club outings, those volunteer advisors or instructors are not required to sign acknowledgment-of-risk forms unless those forms are also required of student participants because of the nature of the activity.

Local Day- and Weekend Trips: Sub-clubs may invite Dartmouth faculty, staff, parents/siblings, friends and alumni to join them on that do not require specialized skills. For any local trip requiring specialized skills – such as kayaking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc. – the same vetting process to assess appropriate skills and fitness should be used as with student participants. No acknowledgment-of-risk form is required unless also required of student participants. Non-student participation on these trips should be approved by the club partner.

Interim Trips and Extended Trips: In order to assist with risk-management and instruction, sub-clubs sometimes invite recent highly-skilled alumni who were active in the club to participate on interim- and extended trips. Their participation should be by invitation only, and their qualifications should be assessed by the trip leader before the invitation is extended.. Alumni participants on these trips must sign and return the relevant acknowledgment-of-risk and medical form before the trip begins. Friends of alumni should not participate without the advance approval of the Director or Deputy Director of Outdoor Programs, who will assess whether or not the person’s participation is critical to improved risk-management or essential logistics.

There are other circumstances in which alumni may participate in order to maintain their connection with the club. Alumni participation in these trips should be approved in advance by the club partner, and the number of alumni participants and their role should not impinge on the participation of students or the role of student leaders. Alumni participants on these trips must sign and return the relevant acknowledgment-of-risk and medical form before the trip begins.

Special events: Sub-clubs sometimes sponsor special events, such as the Mascoma Slalom, that are open to the general public, or trips such as Paddle to the Sea, that are open to alumni. Non-student participants in these events must sign an acknowledgment-of-risk and waiver form, specific to the event, before participating. The event organizer has the right and responsibility to deny participation to anyone whose equipment or qualifications are apparently not suited for the activity.

Driving: No one who is not on the College’s approved driver list may ever drive a College vehicle or transport students in a personal or rented vehicle.

Club Equipment: Non-student participants in trips, as described above, should normally use their own or rented equipment.

Inactive Students: Students who are withdrawn from the College (standard withdrawal or medical withdrawal) or who are suspended or have been separated from the College may not participate in DOC trips. Students who are on leave terms may participate in trips. If trip leaders have any doubt about a prospective participants status at the College, they should consult with their club partner.

No policy can address every situation or circumstance that might arise. When in doubt about how this policy applies, ask your club partner!

Concussion Protocol

What are the Signs and Symptoms of Concussion? Most people with a concussion have a good recovery from symptoms experienced at the time of the injury. But for some people, symptoms can last for days, weeks, or longer. In general, recovery may be slower among older adults, young children, and teens. Those who have had a concussion in the past are also at risk of having another one and may find that it takes longer to recover if they have another concussion.

Thinking/Remembering: Difficulty thinking clearly; Feeling slowed down; Difficulty concentrating; Difficulty remembering new information Physical: Headache, Fuzzy or blurry vision; Nausea or vomiting (early on), Dizziness; Sensitivity to noise or light, Balance problems; Feeling tired, having no energy Emotional/Mood: Irritability, Sadness, More emotional, Nervousness or anxiety Sleep: Sleeping more than usual, Sleep less than usual, Trouble falling asleep

Some of these symptoms may appear right away, while others may not be noticed for days or months after the injury, or until the person starts resuming their everyday life and more demands are placed upon them. Sometimes, people do not recognize or admit that they are having problems. Others may not understand their problems and how the symptoms they are experiencing are impacting their daily activities.

The signs and symptoms of a concussion can be difficult to sort out. Early on, problems may be missed by the person with the concussion, family members, or doctors. People may look fine even though they are acting or feeling differently.

See Getting Better, for tips to help aid your recovery after a concussion.

When to Seek Immediate Medical Attention

Danger Signs in Adults

In rare cases, a dangerous blood clot may form on the brain in a person with a concussion and crowd the brain against the skull. Contact your health care professional or emergency department right away if you have any of the following danger signs after a bump, blow, or jolt to the head or body:

Headache that gets worse and does not go away. Weakness, numbness or decreased coordination. Repeated vomiting or nausea. Slurred speech. The people checking on you should take you to an emergency department right away if you:

Look very drowsy or cannot be awakened. Have one pupil (the black part in the middle of the eye) larger than the other. Have convulsions or seizures. Cannot recognize people or places. Are getting more and more confused, restless, or agitated. Have unusual behavior. Lose consciousness (a brief loss of consciousness should be taken seriously and the person should be carefully monitored).

Getting Better

What Can I Do to Help Feel Better After a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury? Although most people recover after a concussion, how quickly they improve depends on many factors. These factors include how severe their concussion was, their age, how healthy they were before the concussion, and how they take care of themselves after the injury.

Some people who have had a concussion find that at first it is hard to do their daily activities, their job, to get along with everyone at home, or to relax.

Rest is very important after a concussion because it helps the brain to heal. Ignoring your symptoms and trying to “tough it out” often makes symptoms worse. Be patient because healing takes time. Only when your symptoms have reduced significantly, in consultation with your health care professional, should you slowly and gradually return to your daily activities, such as work or school. If your symptoms come back or you get new symptoms as you become more active, this is a sign that you are pushing yourself too hard. Stop these activities and take more time to rest and recover. As the days go by, you can expect to gradually feel better.

Getting Better: Tips for Adults

Get plenty of sleep at night, and rest during the day. Avoid activities that are physically demanding (e.g., heavy housecleaning, weightlifting/working-out) or require a lot of concentration (e.g., balancing your checkbook). They can make your symptoms worse and slow your recovery. Avoid activities, such as contact or recreational sports, that could lead to another concussion. (It is best to avoid roller coasters or other high speed rides that can make your symptoms worse or even cause a concussion.) When your health care professional says you are well enough, return to your normal activities gradually, not all at once. Because your ability to react may be slower after a concussion, ask your health care professional when you can safely drive a car, ride a bike, or operate heavy equipment. Talk with your health care professional about when you can return to work. Ask about how you can help your employer understand what has happened to you. Consider talking with your employer about returning to work gradually and about changing your work activities or schedule until you recover (e.g., work half-days). Take only those drugs that your health care professional has approved. Do not drink alcoholic beverages until your health care professional says you are well enough. Alcohol and other drugs may slow your recovery and put you at risk of further injury. Write down the things that may be harder than usual for you to remember. If you’re easily distracted, try to do one thing at a time. For example, don’t try to watch TV while fixing dinner. Consult with family members or close friends when making important decisions. Do not neglect your basic needs, such as eating well and getting enough rest. Avoid sustained computer use, including computer/video games early in the recovery process. Some people report that flying in airplanes makes their symptoms worse shortly after a concussion.

International Trips

All international trips, whether club-sponsored or through funding from Schlitz, DKAF or club adventure funds must adhere to these procedures:

  • During planning, Investigate all State Department travel warnings and advisories. No college-sponsored trips shall travel to areas with State Department warnings.
  • Notify Dick’s House of plans for foreign travel as soon as possible, and seek required immunizations and travel consultations.
  • All participants must register with The Dartmouth International Travel Registry
  • Ensure that trip and participants have information about Dartmouth's ISOS resources

Club vs. Private Trips

  For reasons of risk management, liability, educational goals, and responsibility, it is important to distinguish, in advance, trips and activities that are sponsored by the Dartmouth Outing Club and/or Outdoor Programs (e.g., the College) from those that are privately or individually sponsored.  At the same time, it is important to recognize that there is no single or simple test for determining for all purposes what is and is not College sponsorship.  Elements that may indicate College involvement or sponsorship include significant use of College resources in planning, scheduling, instruction, transportation, and equipment used in activities.  At a minimum, there should be an understanding before an activity takes place as to whether it is or is not College-sanctioned; we should not have to decide after the fact whether or not we think a particular activity was a Dartmouth activity.   Indications of College sponsorship include:

  • The activity is recorded or registered with OPO, such as with the Google Docs form.
  • Transportation is arranged through OPO and makes use of OPO owned, leased or rented vehicles
  • Funding is provided by OPO or the DOC (This does not apply to grants specifically awarded for private trips.)
  • The activity is organized by staff or DOC leaders and advertised to members
  • The activity is advertised via OPO/DOC mailings, email lists, websites, etc.
  • Participants are eligible to receive outdoor financial aid
  • Participants make use of OPO or DOC equipment (Some private trips may make use of OPO or DOC equipment obtained via the rental shop or club gear check-out programs).

Staff and student leaders should also be mindful of the Colleges’ Group Accountability Policy. When in doubt about whether or not a trip or activity should be understood as College-sponsored or private, consult in advance with your club partner.

Notice of Non-Discrimination

The DOC and OPO adhere to the Dartmouth non-discrimination policy.

Extension of Wilderness First Aid certification until graduation for DOC leaders

In service of retaining experienced leaders, the DOC and Outdoor Programs will allow leaders to internally re-certify a Wilderness First Aid certification by re-taking the written exam for SOLO's WFA course.

  • This does not qualify for anything other than DOC leaders. No outside organization will recognize this.
  • It lasts until you graduate.
  • To take the exam, see your club partner.