Cabin and Trail
|Cabin and Trail|
|Activities||Hiking and trailwork|
Cabin and Trail is one of the subclubs of the Dartmouth Outing Club, and is responsible for hiking and trailwork trips throughout New England as well as cabin maintenance. Members of Cabin and Trail are known as chubbers, and students seeking to become Cabin and Trail leaders are called heelers.
- For a list of common trips, check out the CnT trips directory.
- Descriptions of DOC cabins can be found at the Cabins page.
- For advice on local diners to visit, check out the Dinertoure page.
Although this Google Calendar may not always be updated, check it out for meeting and trip information (note--this calendar is primarily for the use of CnT Leaders and Heelers, and likely will not contain weekly trip postings) : click here to view calendar
How to get involved
- CnT is always looking for more leaders! You can learn about the process of becoming a leader at the Heeler Info page.
- Trip Leading Procedures - a summary of all the steps of making a CnT trip happen.
- For advice on the different risks and requirements of winter trips, check out Winter Trip Leading.
- Trailwork - here you can find a directory of needed trailwork trips and descriptions of different trailwork techniques.
Cabin and Trail has a number of additional leadership positions.
- The Chairs of Cabin and Trail oversee weekly trips, gathering, and club operations. Currently: Lauren Mendelsohn '19 and Maddy Kroot '19 (Summer 2017)
- The Cabins Chair position works as a liaison between the club and the cabins. They book cabins for the club for the term, ensure that visitors use the Cabins Checklist, and orient CnT trips that are going to cabins to see if anything needs to be fixed or improved. Currently: Daniel Jackson '17 and David Polashenski '17 (Spring 2017)
- Because of the nature of The Class of 1966 Lodge, there is a paid Cabins Assistant who makes weekly visits to this facility and monitors big rentals. Currently: David Polashenski '17 (Spring 2017)
- The Trails Chair is responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the DOC's trails and shelters, including 50 miles of trail on Moosilauke and 75 Miles of Appalachian Trail. Currently: John Brady '19 and Ivan Cornish '19 (Spring 2015)
- The Heeler Chair is responsible for recruiting and training new CnT Leaders. Currently: Dev Jhaveri '19 and Matt West '17 (Spring 2017)
- The Feeds and Fun Chair is responsible for organizing Main Event at meetings every Tuesday night and the feed at the Rock at 7:00pm every Wednesday. Currently: Mia Kobbs '19 and Maddy Kroot '19 (feeds) and Ned Darling '19 and Lauren Mendelsohn '19 (fun) (Fall 2016)
- The member at large is in charge of keeping it real for the directorate. Currently: The Old Lodge (Fall 2016)
- For a list of CnT Leaders and CnT Leaders' Certifications, please see CnT Leader and Certification List
- Cabin and Trail Trip Awards