- Please report any unauthorized or inappropriate range activity to Dartmouth Safety & Security (603 646 4000).
Hours of Operation
- The range is open from 9AM-6PM ONLY Monday-Saturday. Sunday and holidays it shall be open only from noon until 4 PM (only one session).
- No shooting session may last longer than 90 minutes.
- There shall be only two sessions per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon (except on Sunday and Holidays), except for archery.
- Use of the Dartmouth College shooting range is a privilege available only to current Dartmouth students. The only exception is for official club trips sponsored by Bait and Bullet.
- These users may bring dependent children or spouses, but not parents.
Planning Your Trip
- All users must contact Safety and Security (5 Rope Ferry Rd.), in person to sign up for access and confirm a time for each shooting session.
- If the range is already reserved, you will need to adjust your plans.
- Use by Bait and Bullet Club has priority and leaders may sign up for range times by phone. Bait and Bullet may not bump existing reservations that are less than 48 hours out from time of call.
At the Range
- For sponsored trips, the ratio is one instructor to 2 students on the firing line.
- Undergraduates may only use guns registered and stored at Safety and Security, per College policy.
- No alcohol
- Pack it in, pack it out. Trash and brass must all be removed from the range. Glass and other breakable items may not be used as targets.
- Use Biodegradable clays only.
- NO AUTOMATIC weapons are permitted.
- Semi-automatic rifles larger than .22 caliber must have clips smaller than 5 rounds.
- NO HANDGUNS are permitted.
- Please respect community events at the adjacent soccer fields and the Organic Farm. If an event is going on, refrain from shooting and reschedule your session.
- Always use the range in a safe manner. Observe the shooting line and shooter safety, always fire in the direction of the target stands, and never fire a firearm when anyone is over the shooting line. This includes shooting from a place beyond the firing line. Shooting may ONLY happen from BEHIND the firing line.
- Proper protective equipment shall be used including ear protection and eye protection when appropriate.
- When the range is in use, there shall be one person designated as "Range Master." That person shall declare, verbally and clearly, that the range is "hot" and "cold."
- If practicing archery, users may establish their own firing line in front of the normal firing line.
- Archery and firearm sessions shall not be concurrent.
Bait and Bullet Leaders
The following people are current BnB Leaders.
They are the only people who should have access to the club's guns.
They are the only people who can book range time by phone instead of in person.
- Logan Briggs
- Jeff Foster
- David Polashenski
- Nick Rizik
- The range will be supervised by a combination of the clubs leaders and its advisors in the Outdoor Programs Office, Dartmouth Office of Safety & Security. All unauthorized activity should be reported to Safety and Security.
- Rules violations will result in revocation of privileges.
- Bait and Bullet will, in consultation with their advisors, work to educate the student body about safe and courteous use of the shooting range.
- Any maintenance will be performed by Bait and Bullet. If they are unable to perform the maintenance, they may request assistance from OPO staff. If OPO is unable to perform the maintenance, the range may be closed until such a time as maintenance can be performed.