Woodsmen's Weekend History and Folklore
Woodsmen's Weekend (WW) is an annual competition, started at Dartmouth College in 1947, that celebrates the old-time forestry skills used in the woods. The 1992 event program contained a brief history of WW from 1947-1992.
This historical information was compiled by David Kotz '86 with help from many others - and contributions are welcome!
On this wiki I am collecting rules, results, and programs from Woodsmen's Weekend over the years. I list them by year, along with the host college. The winning teams are listed below.
- 2017 at Paul Smith's Results.pdf, Rules.pdf
- 2016 at Alfred State Results.pdf, Results.xlsx, Rules.pdf, Rules.docx
- 2015 at Dartmouth Schedule.pdf, Results.pdf, Rules.pdf, Kotz Photos, Dartmouth Photos
- 2014 at SUNY Cobleskill Rules.pdf, Rules.docx
- 2013 at FLCC Rules.pdf
- 2012 at Dartmouth Program.pdf, Program.docx, Results.pdf, Results.pdf (adjusted), Results.xlsx, Results.xlsx (adjusted), Rules.pdf, Rules.docx, Photos (DOC), Photos (Jacobs), Videos (Jacobs), Photos (Bracikowski)
- 2011 at SUNY Cobleskill Results.pdf, Results.xlsx, Rules.pdf, Rules.docx
- 2010 at Paul Smith's Results.pdf, Results (Stihl), Rules.pdf, Rules.docx
- 2009 at Dartmouth Program.pdf, Results.pdf, Results.xlsx, Rules.pdf, Rules.docx, Photos (Van Dyke), Photos (Bracikowski), Radio
- 2008 at UNH Program.pdf, Results.pdf, Results-Stihl.pdf, Rules.pdf, Rules.docx, photos
- 2007 at Dartmouth Program.pdf, Results.pdf, Results.xlsx, Rules.pdf, Rules.docx, photos
- 2006 at NSAC photos
- 2005 at FLCC Rules.pdf, Rules.docx
- 2004 at Dartmouth Program.pdf, Results-M.pdf, Results-M.xlsx, Results-W.pdf, Results-W.xlsx, Rules.pdf, photos, movie
- 2003 at Colby photos
- 2002 at Unity photos
- 2001 at Dartmouth Program.pdf, Results.pdf, Results.xlsx, Rules.pdf, photos
- 2000 at NSAC
- 1999 at FLCC
- 1998 at Dartmouth
- 1997 at Paul Smith's College
- 1996 at FLCC Program
- 1995 at Dartmouth Results
- 1994 at Colby
- 1993 at Pinkerton
- 1992 at Dartmouth Program, Results.pdf, Dartmouth summary
- 1991 at FLCC
- 1990 at UMO
- 1989 at Dartmouth Program, Results
- 1988 at Colby Program, Rules
- 1987 at FLCC Results-v1, Results-v2
- 1986 at Dartmouth Program, Results, Song, Woodsmoke
- 1985 at UMO Program, Results, Woodsmoke
- 1984 at Paul Smith's Program, Results, Rules, Woodsmoke
- 1983 at Dartmouth Program, Rules, Results, Press, Dartmouth team
- 1982 at Colby Program, Rules, Results, Woodsmoke
- 1981 at CCFL (now FLCC) Program, Results, Rules, Woodsmoke
- 1980 at Dartmouth Program, Results, Rules, Press release
- 1979 at UMO Results
- 1978 at Colby Results, Dartmouth press release, D Article
- 1977 at Dartmouth Program, Results, Rules, Woodsmoke, D Photos, D Article
- 1976 at UNH Results, D Editorial, D Article, Woodsmoke
- 1975 at UMO Woodsmoke
- 1974 at Dartmouth Program, Rules
- 1973 at Colby Rules
- 1972 at Dartmouth Program, Results, Rules
- 1971 at Paul Smith's
- 1970 at Dartmouth - not. In Hanover in 1972 it was generally known that 1966 was the most recent at DC.
- 1969 at Nichols
- 1968 at UMass Results
- 1967 at ? Results
- 1966 at Dartmouth Schedule, Results, Rules
- 1965 at
- 1964 at West Point Results, Rules
- 1963 at
- 1962 at
- 1961 at
- 1960 at
- 1959 at Dartmouth
- 1958 at UMO
- 1957 at Middlebury
- 1956 at Paul Smith's Schedule, Results, Rules
- 1955 at Kimball Union Academy
- 1954 at Dartmouth Results, Rules
- 1953 at UMO
- 1952 at Middlebury Results
- 1951 at Dartmouth Results, Rules
- 1950 at Dartmouth Results
Undated documents (help!)
Unfortunately, some of the documents we've found do not have dates. Please help us out. Maybe you have a copy of one of these in your home collection. Maybe you can correlate the events listed in rules with those on results or a program to rule out, or rule in, certain years. Let me know!
- Program, with pencil labels indicating it might be 1950 or 1961.
- Rules, physically associated with the above program.
- Results, from an unknown year.
- Rules1, from an unknown year.
- Rules2, from an unknown year.
- Rules3, from an unknown year.
- Rules addendum, which appeared likely to be 1973 given context in the archives.
- For the programs, I did not scan the ads, "about Woodsmen's Weekend" or descriptions of the events. I focused on scanning the unique content (the list of people involved, or the schedule of events).
- The 1996 program includes a very nice description of the events and the competition equipment, and a directory of vendors of competition equipment.
|Year||Men's||Year||Men's||Women's||Year||Men's||Women's||Jack & Jill|
|1950||Dartmouth||1976||Paul Smith's||Dartmouth||2003||Paul Smith's||Paul Smith's|
|1957||Paul Smith's||1983||FLCC||Dartmouth||2010||FLCC||Paul Smith's||Paul Smith's|
|1958||Paul Smith's||1984||Paul Smith's||FLCC||2011||FLCC||Colby||ESF|
|1959||Paul Smith's||1985||FLCC||Dartmouth||2012||ESF||ESF||Paul Smith's|
|1960||Paul Smith's||1986||FLCC||FLCC||2013||FLCC||Colby||Alfred State|
|1961||Paul Smith's||1987||FLCC||SSFC* (was FLCC)||2014||FLCC||Colby||Alfred State|
|1962||Paul Smith's||1988||FLCC||FLCC||2015||Paul Smith's||Colby||FLCC|
|1963||Paul Smith's||1989||Pinkerton||Dartmouth||2016||Alfred State||Colby||Paul Smith's|
|1964||Paul Smith's||1990||FLCC||ESF||2017||Paul Smith's||Paul Smith's||Paul Smith's|
|1971||Maine||1997||FLCC||ESF* (was SSFC)|
- FLCC = Finger Lakes Community College
- SSFC = Sir Sanford Fleming College
- ESF = SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- NSAC = Nova Scotia Agricultural College
The winners through 1995 were obtained from the 1996 program produced by FLCC; however, Research in the Dartmouth archives indicates 1972 winner was Paul Smith's B, not Maine. A list of winners for non-Dartmouth meets 1996-2009 were provided to me by Marty Dodge. At the 2015 spring meet I verified recent winners for Men's (1988-2014), Women's (1986-2014), and J&J (2010-2014) by inspecting the trophies on-site (which have gaps for 1998 Women's and 2012 J&J). *Where it differed from older info, I trusted the trophy. Brett McLeod (bmcleod -at- paulsmiths.edu) tells me that Paul Smith's J&J won in 2012.
Folklore, stories, and other curios
An article from Field and Stream Magazine about the 1951 Woodsmen's Weekend at Dartmouth.
Here is a student paper about the origin of the surveyor's chain and its use at Dartmouth College.
Here is nice collection of historical photos from the College Archives, posted by Phil Bracikowski '08.
Here is an old rulebook, which was apparently written in 1959 and reprinted in 1962. The editor was Dick Sanders '59, and it includes a Foreward by Ross McKenney.
Ross McKenney wrote this short essay, "When Dreams Come True" in 1948.
John Rand, Director of the DOC, wrote this memo in 1974.
The DOC attended winter meet in Berlin, NH, in 1983; here is the Program.
Here's a story about the scoring and results computation in the 1977 meet. The Dartmouth archives (in Rauner Library) even include a deck of punch cards that appear to contain the scoring program from even earlier meets.
If you can fill in some of the details on this page, please do! If you have some records in your files, please let me know. I'm happy to scan and mail back any paper records you may have. If you have something I don't have, or a cleaner copy than what I have, please send it my way.
If you have some electronic originals (pdf, doc, xls), please feel free to update this page and upload them.
Many thanks to those who have already contributed materials:
- Elaine Anderson '83
- Put Blodgett '53
- Phil Bracikowski '08
- Julie Clemons
- Marty Dodge (FLCC)
- ASE Thomas '91
Enjoy! David Kotz '86